Senior Media Officer | Location: New Delhi
Amnesty International is a Nobel Peace Prize-winning global movement of over seven million people committed to campaigning and action to improve human rights standards enshrined in the Indian Constitution and International Law. As an independent and impartial organization driven by accurate and timely research, Amnesty has been at the forefront of defending those who are denied their rights. Amnesty International works to promote international justice, cooperation and dialogue.
Amnesty International India aspires to build a large and inclusive movement that has a significant impact on the burning Human Rights issues of contemporary India while sustaining a long term effort to the establishment of a rights respecting society in India.
Amnesty International India is looking for a media professional/journalist to develop media strategies and plans to help achieve its campaign objectives. The role would involve communicating Amnesty’s campaigns and projects to English, Hindi and other regional media, and to supplement media strategies to establish a sustained campaign presence across a range of media outlets.
• Generate press coverage for Amnesty International India and its work in Indian and international media.
• Develop and implement a media relations strategy which includes: pro-active media networking; pitching stories and spokespeople; organizing interviews; providing media briefings; writing op eds, press releases and media advisories; and responding to media requests.
• Identify opportunities for media work and provide advice on what products or activities would work best to meet media objectives and achieve impact.
• Integrate social media into overall media plans and activity
• Develop a network of media contacts (print, electronic, and digital) across national and regional media and interact with editors/journalists regularly (including Hindi/other regional).
• Monitor and report on Amnesty International India’s media impact and metrics – including social media.
• Lead, organize and conduct press conferences and other media events. Provide media support for visits to India by senior Amnesty International staff.
• Travel to regions where media work is required to be done.
• Assist in implementing media training for spokespeople and act as spokesperson for the organization, as agreed.
• Support the global network of media workers, providing timely, well-messaged media materials and advice on Amnesty International India’s response to human rights developments in the country.
Skills and experience required
• Experience of at least 6 years in journalism/media relations
• Support for and belief in the aims of Amnesty International
• Strong news sense
• Ability to write press releases within a short time span, strong editing skills and a flair for writing
• Knowledge of media operations and editorial policy
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another Indian language would be preferred. Working knowledge of Hindi is must.
• A good network of contacts in print and electronic media, including at the level of Editors
Amnesty International India is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to building a diverse workplace which is mindful of historical injustice in India. We are especially interested in candidates from Dalit or Adivasi communities and persons with disabilities, religious minorities who can contribute through their experience to the diversity and effectiveness of our workplace.
Equality and diversity are core to our values as an organization. Staff members are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to colleagues from different backgrounds, and value and respect their work.
Conflict of Interest
Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with Amnesty International’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
Send in a cover letter of not more than 500 words explaining how you think you can make a difference in this position for Amnesty International India, along with your updated resume and filled in affirmative action form, which can be downloaded here email@example.com by 15th November, 2016. Please include “Senior Media Officer” in the subject line of your email. Applicants must be legally eligible / authorized to work in India. Applications without Affirmative action form will not be accepted.
• Location: New Delhi
• Reports to: Manager, Media & Advocacy
• Salary: Annual CTC of INR: 946,441/-